Refer a Patient
UAB MIST (Medical Information Service via Telephone) is a toll-free 24-hour consultation and referral service which gives physicians and healthcare professionals immediate access to UAB faculty, staff, and services regarding inpatient referrals, outpatient appointments, consults, and patient follow-up.
The MIST service:
- Triages consultation and referral calls to the appropriate UAB physician and service
- Facilitates the patient transfer process with the UAB Transfer Center
- Provides the appropriate routing of patient follow‐up, out‐patient appointment and health related calls including documentation and call data
In addition, referring physicians may also call MIST to:
- Return calls from UAB or provide follow‐up information
- Make arrangements for Critical Care Transport
- Contact UAB Physician Services or other UAB administrative offices
UAB MIST is for physicians and health professionals only, and should not be used by patients. Physicians may contact MIST by phone at 1.800.UAB.MIST (1.800.822.6478), or via email to email@example.com.
Critical Care Transport
UAB’s Critical Care Transport is a hospital based, inter-facility transport program for patients in the United States and world-wide that require transport from one medical facility to another. UAB’s CCT has been providing medical transports for more than 30 years and has transported more than 42,000 patients. Jet aircraft intensive care units and three mobile intensive care units maintain sophisticated, uninterrupted ICU care in both long-distance and local transports. UAB CCT is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Complete arrangements for bedside to bedside transport, including ground transportation for air trips, are made by the CCT Coordinator. All Coordinators are Manager-level Registered Nurses or Registered Respiratory Therapists. To arrange transport, physicians should call 800.822.6478. Learn more about CCT.
UAB Physician Services
Physician Services seeks to improve communication between UAB Medicine and referring physicians, while also providing support that will enhance continuity of care.